Monday, May 6, 2013

MAY 4 AND 5, 2013 Birding Group at Grand Vue

On Saturday, May 4 I met with five others and enjoyed a great day with perfect weather.  The orioles continue to be vocal and abundant.  The American Redstarts are in high numbers this year as we saw many birds in many different locations.  In addition we added tree swallows to our lists.  In fact, a pair of swallows is using the bluebird box on the post behind the banquet hall.  I was hoping for swallows as I placed two boxes too close together for bluebirds to build nests in both. With 80 birds on the list I now have 47 birds observed.  Of note I have yet to see the elusive house sparrow at Grand Vue, ha ha!

On Sunday, May 5 I returned for an evening walk.  I have been considering an off trail day with those who want to explore other habitats.  So I walked down into a ravine.  It paid off with more good birds.  More Redstarts and a catbird were the first birds.  I added Wood Thrush and Rose Breasted Gross Beak.  But my favorite birds were two seperate pairs of Louisiana Water Thrush.  This was the primary intent for my hike.  The habitat was classic water thrush; steep banks, lots of leaves, heavy shade, and a small creek.  Once in the ravine I simply followed the creek bed searching for waterthrush.  As I walked a bird flew straight at me with the direct flight of a water thrush.  Picture steep banks to either side, me on a rock in the creek bed, and a water thrush flying straight at me.  The bird landed but 15-20 feet away, bobbing its tail constantly as it foraged for food.  I struggle with identifying Louisiana and Northern Water Thrush so I used my app on my iphone.  After seeing the reaction to the audio I knew I was looking at a Louisiana!  After staying for a good 15 minutes I left that pair behind only to find another pair 15 minutes down streem.  I really enjoyed the hike and vowed to invite others to do the same.  I took 2 hours to complete the walk but time well spent indeed.

No comments: