Monday, May 27, 2013

May 18 and 27 2013 (Grand Vue and North Carolina)

I'm sitting in a beautiful backyard visiting friends in Matthews NC in Charlotte.  The yard is made nice not only by the pool and patio area but as much so by the maturing trees and vast landscaping.  This vegetation  and feeding stations bring in birds.  So the air is full of the sounds from the three best mimics, mocking bird, catbird, and brown thrasher. The song sparrow and robin make their presence Also, blue jays cardinals, house and gold finches, Carolina wren, chicadee and titmouse.  They are non stop companions this and every morning.

May 18 at Grand Vue was of interest to me.  Nesting season is in full force.  Again I had an up close view of the tree swallow.  Cedar waxwings are back. Also I located a flicker nest and an oriole nest located at the bottom of the pathway from the newly seeded area to the lower trail.  I watched the female enter and exit multiple times.  In addition the bluebird boxes have now completed the first brood and I'm sure I will see round two happen.
My Grand Vue only list is now up to 57 species.  Its funny I had to add great blue heron and black vulture.  The black vulture was a good bird to add but the heron was a "fly over".  The lists have been popular.

1 comment:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog