Thursday, May 6, 2010

Sherrard Middle School 5/4/10

6-8PM Birding at the middle school trail to help cover some of Jim's breeding bird block. Most notable was the large number of Indigo Buntings. We have observed many in the late summer after nests empty but this time we got to see males on territory. I think we saw at least 5 different males. On several occassions I noticed a bird song that was not familiar. Part was similar to a portion of the chipping sparrow trill. I was sure it was a sparrow song but I could not ID.... should have taken more time to get a visual. Also a nest box held five young blue birds which were observed feeding the nest.

At about 8:00 I noticed a sparrow near the blue bird nest. I had maybe a 10 second look at the sparrow from about 30-40 feet through binoculars so it was a good view. I could only see half the bird but my first impression of the distinctly colored and streaked face resembled a whitethroated sparrow without the yellow marking by the beak. It may have been a little heavier and bigger as well. Again I should have persued but did not and I did not relate it to the earlier birds I heard. After looking at my Sibleys guide I think it may have been a Lark Sparrow. I also see the notation that at one point they nested east to WV and PA but no longer extend their range that far east. It could be a good bird that I need to revisit!

No comments: