Thursday, May 6, 2010

Grandvue 5/5/10

7:00-8:30 PM I went to Grandvue to do a quick check on the nest boxes and warbler check. More feathers in box #2 but still no eggs in any boxes. Orioles everywhere, thrashers still on territory, Wood Thrush, Red-eyes, did not see a blue bird. It was fairly windy on the ridge.
Back in the clearing I did hear a warbler and my first thought was a redstart. The first 3 or 4 notes where consistent and the last note always trailed down. It did not vary its song but the constant song allowed me to walk a straight line toward it. That bird was impossible to see until it moved and then the quick movements made it hard to track. when I saw a pale breast and olive brown/dark brown warbler I ruled out a singing male red start. Further observation yielded a small yellow patch by the shoulder and an unusually long tail the underside of which was light/pale down toward the end where it abruptly turned black. I also noticed the face seemed to be darker especially toward the beak which was black. I checked my small peterson field guide but could not place. I even looked at flycatchers. I was stumped for a good 45 min. I walked back to my car and on the way observed a rose breasted gross beak, first sighting of the year.
When I got to the car I checked the Sibley's guide again and after some searching in other areas came to the redstart page hoping to read "similar species". But the answer was on the page. I saw a 1st year plummage male redstart. I had no Idea it takes a year for the redstart to get its adult plummage..... now I know! It was a nice evening but I'm sure to the non birder I looked like an idiot following a sound through the trees.

No comments: