Thursday, May 7, 2015

May 2 and 3 2015 Grand Vue and Ohio River

Ah May, the best month of the year.  Two birding days did not disappoint.  On Saturday morning I hiked Grand Vue.  Three hooded warblers were the birds of the day.  In addition, many restarts, a yellow throated vireo, wood thrush, scarlet tanager, brown thrasher, and baltimore orioles all made it a great 2 hours.  All were first made known and identified by their song.

May 3 was also a great birding day.  I walked the trail by the river hoping for warblers, especially the prairie warble from last year.  Well, many yellow warblers were very territorial, but that was the only warbler.  Vireos were the best birds.  Within 200 yards I had red eyed, white eyed, yellow throated, AND warbling vireos were active.  Again, songs were the first indicator that made for easy identification.  The visuals would be tough, but the songs.... the best.  An osprey, orioles, thrasher, and many sparrows all made for a good walk.

My nest box in my yard, put up for bluebirds, is occupied by a titmouse.  I will post a picture.  I first thought chickadees were taking ownership as I observed them in and out.  But later openned the box to see the titmouse.  May 7 there are six speckled eggs.  More to follow.

No comments: