Friday, April 22, 2011

Spring 2011 April Notes

April 22, 2011 I walked Grandvue. Of the 5 bluebird boxes I now have three nests. One nest holds 4 eggs and the others have no eggs as of this date. Of the other three smaller boxes I have one house wren nest.
This mornings walk yielded mostly typical birds. Brown Thrasher, Cowbirds, Pileated, Red-bellied, many Towhees, chipping, field and song sparrows, cardinals, jays, etc. were all observed.
I did hear what I thought was a coo-coo (black billed). As is often the case this bird was elusive....... he sounded close by but I did not get a visual. I am investigating if other birds sound similar. I'm sure it was a coo-coo.

The flicker is nesting in her usual cavity. This bird flushes from the nest as I walk the bend on the trail. I can usually get a glimpse of her exit as I get within 20-30 yards. Seldom does she allow me to get closer than that before she flushes. The nest site is an old tree with fungae acting as a "porch roof" above a perfectly circular hole.

two or three weeks ago I saw two phoebes in an opening at Grandvue. It was a great chance to see their behavior for 15 minutes or so. Constant tail "bops" as they fed in the clearing. I hope they nest.

No comments: